- Genesis 9:13 – I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my covenant with you and with all the earth.
Genesis 9:14 – When I send clouds over the earth, the rainbow will appear in the clouds,
Genesis 9:16 – When I see the rainbow in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth.”
2. God created the clouds
- Genesis 1
- Proverbs 8:28 – I (wisdom) was there when he set the clouds above, when he established springs deep in the earth.
3. Clouds and mountains – The clouds shielded his glory from onlookers
- Deuteronomy 4:11 – “You came near and stood at the foot of the mountain, while flames from the mountain shot into the sky. The mountain was shrouded in black clouds and deep darkness.
- Deuteronomy 5:22 – “The Lord spoke these words to all of you assembled there at the foot of the mountain. He spoke with a loud voice from the heart of the fire, surrounded by clouds and deep darkness. This was all he said at that time, and he wrote his words on two stone tablets and gave them to me.
- Psalm 18:11 – He shrouded himself in darkness, veiling his approach with dark rain clouds. Thick clouds shielded the brightness around him and rained down hail and burning coals.
4. As a result of calling out to God, He came to the rescue and showed HIs glory.
- 2 Samuel 22:10-15 – He opened the heavens and came down; dark storm clouds were beneath his feet. 11 Mounted on a mighty angelic being, he flew, soaring on the wings of the wind. 12 He shrouded himself in darkness, veiling his approach with dense rain clouds. 13 A great brightness shone around him, and burning coals blazed forth. 14 The Lord thundered from heaven; the voice of the Most High resounded. 15 He shot arrows and scattered his enemies; his lightning flashed, and they were confused. (Also see Psalm 18)
- 2 Samuel 23:3-4 – The God of Israel spoke. the Rock of Israel said to me: the one who rules righteously, who rules in the fear of God, 4 is like the light of morning at sunrise, like a morning without clouds, like the gleaming of the sun on new grass after rain.is like the light of morning at sunrise, like a morning without clouds, like the gleaming of the sun on new grass after rain.’
6. His glory is also like the rainbow shining in the clouds on a rainy day.
- Ezekiel 1:28 – All around him was a glowing halo, like a rainbow shining in the clouds on a rainy day. This is what the glory of the Lord looked like to me. When I saw it, I fell face down on the ground, and I heard someone’s voice speaking to me.
- 1 Kings 18:45 – And soon the sky was black with clouds. A heavy wind brought a terrific rainstorm, and Ahab left quickly for Jezreel.
Job 26:8 – He wraps the rain in his thick clouds, and the clouds don’t burst with the weight.
- Job 36 – “Look, God is greater than we can understand. His years cannot be counted. 27 He draws up the water vapour and then distills it into rain. 28 The rain pours down from the clouds, and everyone benefits.
Job 38: 37-38 – Who is wise enough to count all the clouds? Who can tilt the water jars of heaven 38 when the parched ground is dry and the soil has hardened into clods?Psalm 77:17 – The clouds poured down rain; the thunder rumbled in the sky. Your arrows of lightning flashed.Ecclesiastes 11:3 – When clouds are heavy, the rains come down. Whether a tree falls north or south, it stays where it falls.Ecclesiastes 12:2 – Remember him before the light of the sun, moon, and stars is dim to your old eyes, and rain clouds continually darken your sky.Luke 12:54 – Talk about the west and southwest winds bringing rain.Psalm 148:4 – Praise him, skies above! Praise him, vapors high above the clouds!Zechariah 10:1 – [ The Lord Will Restore His People ] Ask the Lord for rain in the spring, for he makes the storm clouds. And he will send showers of rain so every field becomes a lush pasture.Luke 12:54 – Then Jesus turned to the crowd and said, “When you see clouds beginning to form in the west, you say, ‘Here comes a shower.’ And you are right.Psalm 135:7 – He causes the clouds to rise over the whole earth. He sends the lightning with the rain and releases the wind from his storehouses.
8. Thunder and lightning remind us of the power and awesomeness of our God.
- Job 36:29-32 – Who can understand the spreading of the clouds and the thunder that rolls forth from heaven? 30 See how he spreads the lightning around him and how it lights up the depths of the sea. 31 By these mighty acts he nourishes the people, giving them food in abundance. 32 He fills his hands with lightning bolts and hurls each at its target. 33 The thunder announces his presence; the storm announces his indignant anger.
- Job 37:2-5 – “My heart pounds as I think of this. It trembles within me. 2 Listen carefully to the thunder of God’s voice as it rolls from his mouth. 3 It rolls across the heavens, and his lightning flashes in every direction. 4 Then comes the roaring of the thunder— the tremendous voice of his majesty. He does not restrain it when he speaks. 5 God’s voice is glorious in the thunder. We can’t even imagine the greatness of his power.”
- Job 37:15 – Do you know how God controls the storm and causes the lightning to flash from his clouds?
- Job 38:34-35 – “Can you shout to the clouds and make it rain? 35 Can you make lightning appear and cause it to strike as you direct.
- Jeremiah 10:13 – When he speaks in the thunder, the heavens roar with rain. He causes the clouds to rise over the earth. He sends the lightning with the rain and releases the wind from his storehouses.
- Jeremiah 51:16 – When he speaks in the thunder, the heavens roar with rain. He causes the clouds to rise over the earth. He sends the lightning with the rain and releases the wind from his storehouses.
9. A picture of pride – heads reaching to the clouds!
- Job 20:6 – Though the pride of the godless reaches to the heavens and their heads touch the clouds,
- Ezekiel 31:10 – “Therefore, this is what the Sovereign Lord says: Because Egypt became proud and arrogant, and because it set itself so high above the others, with its top reaching to the clouds,
- Job 22:12-14 – “God is so great—higher than the heavens, higher than the farthest stars.13 But you reply, ‘That’s why God can’t see what I am doing! How can he judge through the thick darkness? 14 For thick clouds swirl about him, and he cannot see us. He is way up there, walking on the vault of heaven.
11. God is so intimately connected with HIs creation.
- Job 26:9-11 – He covers the face of the moon, shrouding it with his clouds. 10 He created the horizon when he separated the waters, he set the boundary between day and night. 11 The foundations of heaven tremble; they shudder at his rebuke.
- Psalm 135:7 – He causes the clouds to rise over the whole earth. He sends the lightning with the rain and releases the wind from his storehouses.
- Psalm 147:8 – He covers the heavens with clouds, provides rain for the earth, and makes the grass grow in mountain pasture
12. As we look up at the clouds we are reminded that God is higher than us and in no way are we equal – He is to be feared.
- Job 35:5-8 – Look up into the sky, and see the clouds high above you. 6 If you sin, how does that affect God? Even if you sin again and again, what effect will it have on him? 7 If you are good, is this some great gift to him? What could you possibly give him? 8 No, your sins affect only people like yourself, and your good deeds also affect only humans.
Job 37:6-21 “He directs the snow to fall on the earth and tells the rain to pour down. 7 Then everyone stops working so they can watch his power. 8 The wild animals take cover and stay inside their dens. 9 The stormy wind comes from its chamber, and the driving winds bring the cold. 10 God’s breath sends the ice, freezing wide expanses of water. 11 He loads the clouds with moisture, and they flash with his lightning. 12 The clouds churn about at his direction. They do whatever he commands throughout the earth. 13 He makes these things happen either to punish people or to show his unfailing love. 14 “Pay attention to this, Job. Stop and consider the wonderful miracles of God.15 Do you know how God controls the storm and causes the lightning to flash from his clouds? 16 Do you understand how he moves the clouds with wonderful perfection and skill? 17 When you are sweltering in your clothes and the south wind dies down and everything is still 18 he makes the skies reflect the heat like a bronze mirror. Can you do that. 19 “So teach the rest of us what to say to God. We are too ignorant to make our own arguments. 20 Should God be notified that I want to speak? Can people even speak when they are confused? 21 We cannot look at the sun, for it shines brightly in the sky, when the wind clears away the clouds.
- Job 38:8,9 – “Who kept the sea inside its boundaries as it burst from the womb, and as I clothed it with clouds and wrapped it in thick darkness?
- 1 Kings 18:44 – Finally the seventh time, his servant told him, “I saw a little cloud about the size of a man’s hand rising from the sea.”
- Amos 9:6 – The Lord’s home reaches up to the heavens, while its foundation is on the earth. He draws up water from the oceans and pours it down as rain on the land. The Lord is his name!
- Psalm 36:5 – Your unfailing love, O Lord, is as vast as the heavens; your faithfulness reaches beyond the clouds.
Psalm 57:10 – For your unfailing love is as high as the heavens. Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.
- Psalm 108:4 – For your unfailing love is higher than the heavens. Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.
- Psalm 68:4 – Sing praises to God and to his name! Sing loud praises to him who rides the clouds. His name is the Lord— rejoice in his presence!
- Psalm 104:3 – you lay out the rafters of your home in the rain clouds. You make the clouds your chariot; you ride upon the wings of the wind.
- Psalm 97:2 – Dark clouds surround him. Righteousness and justice are the foundation of his throne.
- Psalm 148:8 – fire and hail, snow and clouds, wind and weather that obey him,
- Isaiah 5:6 – I will make it a wild place where the vines are not pruned and the ground is not hoed, a place overgrown with briers and thorns. I will command the clouds to drop no rain on it.
Nahum 1:3 – The Lord is slow to get angry, but his power is great, and he never lets the guilty go unpunished. He displays his power in the whirlwind and the storm. The billowing clouds are the dust beneath his feet.Job 37:16 – Do you understand how he moves the clouds with wonderful perfection and skill?
- Proverbs 25:14 – A person who promises a gift but doesn’t give it is like clouds and wind that bring no rain.
Jude 1:12 – When these people eat with you in your fellowship meals commemorating the Lord’s love, they are like dangerous reefs that can shipwreck you. They are like shameless shepherds who care only for themselves. They are like clouds blowing over the land without giving any rain. They are like trees in autumn that are doubly dead, for they bear no fruit and have been pulled up by the roots.
18. In the last days… exciting things will occur in the clouds.
- Ezekiel 30:3 – for the terrible day is almost here— the day of the Lord! It is a day of clouds and gloom, a day of despair for the nations.
- Zephaniah 1:15 – It will be a day when the Lord’s anger is poured out— a day of terrible distress and anguish, a day of ruin and desolation, a day of darkness and gloom, a day of clouds and blackness,
- Acts 2:19 – And I will cause wonders in the heavens above and signs on the earth below— blood and fire and clouds of smoke.
- 1 Thessalonians 4:17 – Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Then we will be with the Lord forever.
- Matthew 24:30 – And then at last, the sign that the Son of Man is coming will appear in the heavens, and there will be deep mourning among all the peoples of the earth. And they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
Matthew 26:64Jesus replied, “You have said it. And in the future you will see the Son of Man seated in the place of power at God’s right hand and coming on the clouds of heaven.”
- Mark 13:26 – Then everyone will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds with great power and glory.
Mark 14:62Jesus said, “I am. And you will see the Son of Man seated in the place of power at God’s right hand and coming on the clouds of heaven.”
- Revelation 1:7 – Look! He comes with the clouds of heaven. And everyone will see him— even those who pierced him. And all the nations of the world will mourn for him. Yes! Amen