We are raising up a generation to shine in the light – they are called to be bold and righteous amongst a perverse generation. Faith vs. fear, courage vs. timidity, love vs. hate. Here are some verses to remind you of the power of light.
1. God created light and said it was good.
- Genesis 1:3-5 – Then God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 And God saw that the light was good. Then he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day” and the darkness “night.”
2. Light rules over darkness
- John 1:4,5 – The Word gave life to everything that was created, and his life brought light to everyone. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it.
3. God is our light
- Psalm 18:28 – You light a lamp for me. The Lord, my God, lights up my darkness.
- Psalm 27:1 – The Lord is my light and my salvation— so why should I be afraid? TheLord is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?
- Psalm 36:9 – For you are the fountain of life, the light by which we see.
- Psalm 89:15 – Happy are those who hear the joyful call to worship, for they will walk in the light of your presence, Lord.
- Psalm 139:12 – but even in darkness I cannot hide from you. To you the night shines as bright as day. Darkness and light are the same to you.
- Isaiah 60:3 – All nations will come to your light; mighty kings will come to see your radiance.
- Psalm 119:105 – Your Word is a lamp to guide my feet and alight for my path.
- Psalm 119:130 – The teaching of your word gives light, so even the simple can understand.
- Matthew 5:14,15 – “You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it giveslight to everyone in the house. (Mark 4, Luke 11)
- John 9:5 – But while I am here in the world, I am the light of the world.”
- John 12:36 – Put your trust in the light while there is still time; then you will become children of the light.” After saying these things, Jesus went away and was hidden from them.
Ephesians 5:8 – For once you were full of darkness, but now you have light from the Lord. So live as people of light!
Philippians 2:15 – so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people.
- John 12:46 – I have come as a light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in me will no longer remain in the dark.
- 2 Corinthians 4:6 – For God, who said, “Let there be light in the darkness,” has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ.
- Ephesians 1:18 – I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light so that you can understand the confident hope he has given to those he called—his holy people who are his rich and glorious inheritance.
7. We hold this light in earthern vessels to give glory to God.
- 2 Corinthians 4:7 – We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves.
8. This leads us to share in the inheritance we have through Christ.
- Colossians 1:12 – always thanking the Father. He has enabled you to share in the inheritance that belongs to his people, who live in the light.